Thursday, June 23, 2011

Turkies Have Arrived!


These little guys are about 3 to 4 weeks old, so they aren't going to be ready for Thanksgiving, but for Christmas they definitely will. I don't really have any intentions of keeping a breeding pair of turkeys, but I may consider it as these guys get older.

They are Narragansett which are a heritage breed. They aren't going to be huge but they should be really tasty!

Narragansett turkeys

Of course turkeys need different feed from the chickens/ducks (which I didn't initially realize, BYC rocks!). So I created a temporary pen for them. This was SUPER quick and just used stuff from around the barns. I stapled ("steepled" around here!) one side directly onto a supporting beam, then used two screw in hooks to hold the other side. That way I can really easily get in there to clean/feed/water. The chickens could probably get in there if they really wanted, but so far only one of my little Cochins has been adventurous enough!


I have to say the turkeys are quite beautiful and very interesting birds. I'm really looking forward to watching them grow up! And Christmas dinner! yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment