Saturday, July 2, 2011

Henny's Got Eggs!

A week or so ago when we brought the turkeys home, Henny started acting strangely. Those ugly squawking little critters set her hormones ablaze (for some reason the chicks of her own species just didn't do enough for her...). She went broody.

I tried rousing her off her nest, I tried putting her out in the sunshine, I even tried dunking her in cold water (sorry Henny!) it didn't work. The next option is to lock her in a wire-bottom cage (so it's uncomfortable to sit) for 2-3 days. Apparently this works very well, but it's gotten hot here recently, and I'm too worried about heat stroke.


I knew a former neighbour of mine had chickens, and she was kind enough to give us a few fertile eggs. I figured, if you can't break'em, join'em. We weren't really looking for any more chickens right now, and I miss my breakfast eggs! But look at those beady little eyes? How could you deny her anything?


Anyway, Henny is very happy a clutch has magically appeared in her nest box, and she's settling down with a new vigor.

The 21 day count down is on... we could have chicks by the 23rd.
(Didn't get a chance to candle the eggs, so I'll have to do that in the next few days to make sure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment