Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hard Decisions



Not everything around the farm is fun, or fair.

Uggo here came in with the our pretty birds, including his dad variously known as McNasty, Big Meany, SHUT UP!!! (he's a great rooster). As you can see he's our little cross-billed chick, a pretty serious genetic deformity.

Most of these birds aren't able to eat very well and waste away, surprisingly Uggo has always eaten just fine; maybe a little messier then most.

The problem lies in the fact that this little cockrel has gotten to an age where he's noticed all the lovely hens running around, and I can't have him passing on that bill to his chicks (especially because we don't know what side the deformity came from).

The other problem is that he's sweet and pretty cute, and I'm a little soft on him. I've been trying to keep him in the barn but he's not understanding my threats and keeps wandering back to the coop during the day and breeding the hens.

If he were larger and we could eat him I wouldn't feel bad about it, but he's tiny.

It'll probably take me a few more days to screw up the nerves to get rid of him. The ugly ones always get to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment