Friday, December 9, 2011

Sick Chicken

Busy with a sick chicken so I'll have to cover this week's craft project later.

It's a chicken kitchen!
Uh, kitchen chicken!
 I found her in one of the nest boxes this morning and could tell something was seriously wrong when I lifted her up to check for eggs and didn't get any protest at all, she barely opened her eyes. So she's been in the house all day & doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

I took some online advice to give her a bath, didn't think it would make things any worse.
You'd think an old laying hen would get
a little more upset being stuck in hot water...

Actually she was almost falling asleep.
Or dieing, I'm not sure

It seemed to really help
warm her up a bit.

Clearly I've lost my mind...
I've settled her in front of the fire place where she's been having a nap for about an hour, staying nice and warm.

I have no idea what's wrong with her, no idea what to do to 'fix' her and not overly confident she's going to get better; but we will try.

Update from later in the day:

After a nice little nap she's had a GIANT poop on what is definitely a farm towel now...  and has perked up a bit. However, she may continue and 'fake' it just to stay in front of the fire which she seems to really be enjoying.

Looks like she's ready to go back out into the coop. I'm going to keep an eye on her & maybe bring her back in for the night, but she's a lot more comfortable out with the other chickens.

I'm also really worried I might have heard some raspy sounds. The coop didn't get winterized until late last night so there have been some cold nights in there. Hope it's nothing too serious but seems we'll have to wait & see.

No comments:

Post a Comment