Wednesday, August 24, 2011

GARDEN: Storing Zuks!


Here is my lovely produce fresh out of the garden! We've got 4 good sized zucchini, and a lovely spaghetti squash. The squash it going in a cool dark place to cure for a bit because the far side is still a little green.

I've gently washed all of the zucchini because it's going in the freezer!


I love to add zucchini to spaghetti sauce in the winter, it brings a little taste of summer back and is a great way to sneak some veggies into the kid's dinner.

You want to slice about 1/2" thick, too small and they'll turn to mush in the pan, too large and you've got big chunks of veg the kids aren't going to eat.

I lay them out on a tray individually to freeze them because that way I've got individual zucchini slices to pull out and add to my sauce instead of a big frozen clump!

So slice them, lay them out on a pan, and let them freeze, then after a few hours remove from freezer, and place in plastic bag for storage!


Oh, and save the ends for the chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment