Tuesday, September 6, 2011

KSCC: Sewn Knitting-Needle Holder

I wish I had the link to the page that had inspired me to do this. I started on this project probably 2 years ago now. I'm not great at finishing projects in a reasonable time frame, but I sure do love to start new ones! With a quiet rainy day and only our littlest son to sit behind me on the chair while I sewed, I managed to knock this project off my list.

It's fairly simple, I started with a big piece of old jean for the back. You'll probably notice the holder is not a perfect square, it follows the taper of the leg. I did this so that when you rolled it, the most outside piece would be the longest; so that it looked neat all rolled up (not with uneven bits sticking out).

For the pocket-part I chose a piece of fabric to attach to the jean, and created a pocket on the front. Then I ran my machine along the front of the pocket to create many smaller pockets. If I was going to do this project again, I would dart the small pockets like a pleat, so that there is more room in each one for the needles. 

I've had this fabric for years. I love it enough I've always wanted to do something little and fun like this, but don't love it enough for curtains (for instance). It's perfect here! There isn't any padding or anything in the holder, just the fabric. It still nice and fairly heavy-weight because of the jean.

I added another piece of fabric (sewn together so that there are two good sides) onto the top to keep the needles in when the holder is moved around. Then I simply created some ribbon with extra fabric to close it!

Any beginner sewer could accomplish this, it's mostly making a complicated pillow case! It probably would have taken me an afternoon to finish if I could ever find an entire afternoon for one project.

I'm going to have to make something else to hold my circular needles, and I'd like to make a second holder for my small sets of double pointed needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment