Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Goat Proof"


Goats are quite well known as escape artists, taking every opportunity to see what is on the other side of the fence. Present company included!! 


In fact the little buggers were sneaking out through the holes in the gate! I've determined they are sort of like rats, and can get their bodies through anything that they can get their heads through!

Harry with his cheeks full
Our guys are only 4 months old, and they will get larger, but Harry Houdini is a saanen x pygmy cross so he's always going to be a little smaller. I was speaking with someone the other day who asked if we were planning on getting milk goats, and mentioning they wanted Kinders (NubianX). I quickly told her about how our little guy is always getting out, but that Diego frequently stayed behind in the pasture, seemingly (1) because he wanted to (2) because he's larger and can't fit through the same holes.

Definitely something to consider when deciding what breed you want to raise.

Hi Diego...
If you're going to keep goats I'd suggest starting with a brand new fence and build it for the goats. Otherwise you end up with a lot of this:

At least they are keeping
the weeds down...
The corner of the front paddock is not what it used to be and the goats have found all sorts of holes. I tried adding more fence to the front lawn but they figured out they can get through that too... so I'm off to fix the sac. paddock fence today and they'll be confined w hay until I can figure out a way to solve this problem.

Have bottle fed goats does make them easier to catch, but also means when they see me they come running to see what is in my pockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment